Thursday, January 15, 2009

Mallory

A lot of people have been asking me about Mallory, so I decided to start a daily update about her here...

First of all, she was diagnosed before Christmas with Mixed Connective Tissue Disease. I don't really understand this disease, except that it gives Mal a lowered immune system. In conjuntion with the MCTD, she also has Reynaud's phenomenon and arthritis. Reynaud's has to do with her circulation in her extremeties. So, long story somewhat shorter, she has been on medication for her circulation and arthritis.

Over the holidays Mallory got really sick with whatever was going around town. The rest of us got over it in about 3 days, she took closer to 2 weeks. She stopped taking her medication while she was sick, and attempted to restart it when she was well. She had a reaction to one of the medications, and discontinued it. After calling her doctor, she switched medications, and things went downhill from there.

Mallory really does not want a lot of details given out at this time, but she has been checked into the hospital (if you want to know which one, feel free to call me). They are giving her fluids through her IV and pain medication. They are running tests daily, but have not returned many results yet. I can tell you that they found her liver to have "elevated function", whatever that means. I'll post more when I know it...am going tomorrow to see her.

No comments: